This easy Chinese vegetable soup is a perfect Asian tasty classic, healthy, and comforting. Make a batch the next time you need warming up with something hot on a cold day.
The noodles here are not cooked in the soup; they would absorb too much of the liquid. Instead, they are boiled separately, tossed with sesame oil, and then put into bowls, waiting to be warmed by the hot broth.
- 3 Chinese mushrooms
- 175g Nnova Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- 2 litre water
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp shredded bamboo shoot
- 1 tbsp shredded carrot
- A tbsp shredded celery
- 1 tbsp straw mushrooms
- 450ml clear soup stock
CLEAR SOUP BROTH:
- 175g parsnips
- 175g turnips
- 2 onions
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 4 tbsp chopped button mushroom stalks
- 5 litres/ 2 ½ pints of water
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 black peppercorns
- Bouquet Garni: (2 sprigs of parsley, 1 sprig of thyme and 1 bay leaf)
- Wash the parsnips and turnips but do not peel them. Chop then into chunks.
- Peel the onions, wash the celery and chop these into chunks, too.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add all chopped vegetables and the mushrooms stalks. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the water, salt, bouquet garni and peppercorns to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl, pressing the vegetables with the back of the wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the vegetables left in the strainer.
- Soak the Chinese mushrooms for 20 minutes in boiling water. Drain them. Cut off and discard the stalks and shred the caps.
- Heat the corn oil and in a wok and stir-fry the shredded Chinese mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add the bamboo shoot, carrot, celery and straw mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes more.
- Add the vegetables to the broth and season. Bring to the boil.
- Meantime cooks the vermicelli noodles according to the packet instructions and rinse them with warm water.
- Tossed them in a pan with 2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Serve in a bowl and cover with the vegetable stock.