If you have wondered what to do with your broken vermicelli, this Turkish classic considered to be one of the most delicious Turkish desserts, can be a fantastic option.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb shredded vermicelli
- ½ lb unsalted, shredded mozzarella cheese or any other white, stringy, unsalted cheese
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- ½ cup milk (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp finely ground pistachios
- In a medium pot, combine sugar and water, let it boil and leave it cool.
- shredded the vermicelli in a food processor, chopped with a sharp knife or simple crush it with your hands until it chops into small pieces.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan. Add the shredded vermicelli and mix continuously.
- Add the milk and continue mixing until the butter and milk are completely incorporated into the shredded vermicelli. Remove from heat.
- In a round pan or a Pyrex dish, place half of the buttered vermicelli and press with a spatula or your hands.
- Distribute the shredded vermicelli, unsalted cheese evenly on top of the buttered vermicelli and press with a spatula or hands.
- Add the rest of the buttered vermicelli on top of the cheese and distribute and press evenly.
- Heat the oven to 375º F. Place the künefe pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pour the cold syrup on the hot künefe. Let the künefe absorb the syrup for about 5 minutes.
Serve hot immediately and topped with cream or ice cream.