(SERVES 4 PEOPLE)
One of the quickest and easiest ways to prepare Italian pasta is in the wok. I love using whatever left-overs I have in the fridge and quickly stir-frying cooked pasta with some curry paste. With a bit of imagination, the wok turns a simple pasta dish into an ambrosial delight.
This recipe makes a fine starter for a multicourse meal or can easily be a main course with salad. In warm weather, serve it at room temperature.
- 454g Nnova rice fusilli
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated orange zest
- 350 g bacon/ 6 rashers, rinded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1cm diced
- 1 red yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into 1cm diced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 300 ml (1/ pint) home-made or good quality chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp madras powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Olive oil, Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh basil
- Snipped fresh chives
- Heat the work or large frying pan over a high heat until it is hot.
- Add the bacon and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the bacon is browned (reserve)
- Add the garlic, ginger, onion and orange zest and stir-fry for 2 minutes
- Next add the bacon, peppers, sugar, stock, tomatoes, curry paste, tomato puree, salt and pepper; turn the heat down, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Cooking Pasta Instructions:
- Boil at least 4 pints of water in a large pot and add salt.
- Boil undercover for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse with warm water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well in the wok, leave for 1 extra minute and turn the mixture out onto a large, warm platter, garnish abundantly with plenty of basil, chives and serve.