Peas are a fantastic healthy option ingredient, high in vitamins, minerals, fibre, and proteins.
It is a very quick and inexpensive recipe, ideal to season pasta, chicken, fish and much more. Perfect for Spring/Summertime and can be prepared with fresh or frozen peas.
It can be kept in the refrigerator for days and use it any time.
- 40g Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 300g of fresh peas (ideal) or frozen
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Pine nuts
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 pinches of salt
- If the peas are fresh, rinse them under cold water and place them in a pot with plenty of cold unsalted water.
- If the peas are frozen, you can put them in the pot while still frozen then cook them for around 10 minutes or the necessary time to make them tender but not over cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, place the washed basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic cloves and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the freshly cooked and drained peas and start blending intermittently, avoiding heating the blade and oxidize the green of the peas and basil.
- When everything starts to become a cream, add the grated cheese, and add more extra virgin olive oil if need it and blend again.
- Once you have obtained a creamy consistency, add salt if need it and transfer the cream into a hermetically sealed glass jar.
- Add more extra virgin olive oil to the surface and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours before using.
- The pesto can be kept in the refrigerator for 4 or 5 days covered with oil.
- You can add some variations to your Pea Pesto, like fresh chopped chilli.
- If you do not have Grana Padano, you can substitute it with Parmigiano Reggiano fuller bodied in flavour.