Now enjoying considerable popularity in fashionable restaurants in many cities both in Italy and elsewhere in the world, pasta and smoked salmon is quite a recent partnership. This is quite a special dish, but astonishingly easy to make.
- 70g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 350g Nnova Rice GF Spaghetti
- 200gsmoked salmon, cut into strips
- 280g large prawns or tiger prawns, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup béchamel sauce
- 115g freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the béchamel sauce:
- 55g unsated butter
- 55g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 1 baby leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Melt the butter, add the flour and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Add the baby leaf and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Remove the baby leaf and season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Butter a large, ovenproof dish and set aside
- Boil water in a large pot. To make sure pasta doesn’t stick together, use at least 4 pints of water for every 8 ounces of pasta. Make sure that the water is at a fast, fierce, rolling boil before you add the pasta.
- Salt the water with at least a tablespoon of salt. The salty water adds flavour to the pasta.
- Pour pasta into boiling water. Boil undercover for 10-12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse with warm water.
- Spoon half of the spaghetti into the prepared dish, cover with the strips of smoked salmon, then top with the prawns. Pour over half the béchamel sauce and sprinkle with half the parmesan. Add the remaining spaghetti, cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan. Dice the remaining butter and do it over the surface.
- Bake in a preheated over, 18oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4, for 15 minutes, until the top is golden. Serve immediately.
This dish would also be delicious made with smoked halibut instead o the salmon and smoked mussels, instead of the prawns.