Huancaina Sauce is a Peruvian sauce made of the mixture of fresh cheese, sunny yellow chilli peppers, garlic, onions, salty crackers and milk.
Its colourful appearance, good flavour and seasoning make it an ideal sauce for pasta dishes, veggie dips or just pour over cooked veggies and potatoes.
Yellow chilli peppers provide a cayenne pepper level heat and a tropical-sweet undertone to the sauce. It’s a unique, summery taste making for one terrific alternative to typical cheese sauces.
- 454g Nnova Rice Fusilli
- 250g prawns
- 10 to 12 quail eggs
- 5 yellow chilli peppers
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 4 gf salty crackers
- 300g feta cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 can evaporated milk or any other milk alternative
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté onion, garlic, and chilli peppers in olive oil until onion is softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place onion/chilli mixture in a food processor or blender. Add evaporated milk and blend.
- Add cheese and crackers and blend until smooth. The sauce should be fairly thick. Thicken sauce with more saltines or thin sauce with milk if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the quail eggs for few minutes and peel.
- Sauté for few minutes the prawns and reserve.
COOKING THE PASTA
- Boil water in a large pot. To make sure pasta doesn’t stick together, use at least 4 pints of water for every 8 ounces of pasta. Make sure that the water is at a fast, fierce, rolling boil before you add the pasta.
- Salt the water with at least a tablespoon of salt. The salty water adds flavour to the pasta.
- Pour pasta into boiling water. Boil undercover for 8 – 9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse with warm water.
- Mix the pasta with the Huancaina sauce, prawns.
- Decorate with the quail eggs and serve. Enjoy!
- Depending on how spicy you want it, making this recipe you can adjust the heat to your liking by using fewer or more yellow chile peppers.
- Prawns can be replaced by chicken/turkey/salmon/tuna or if you prefer a meatless version, just add your favourite veggies.